[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatic selection of an audio sink depending on value of ENV variable

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Oct 30 10:43:19 PDT 2009

On Wed, 28.10.09 22:53, Brian J. Murrell (brian at interlinx.bc.ca) wrote:

> Disclaimer: I don't really have any skin in this game so you can tell me
> I'm stupid or whatever you want, however...
>
> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 16:05 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > Yepp, and I'd argue the non-xinerama setup is useless.
>
> /me looks over from his primary display (with it's separate desktops.
> separate panels and where he can't drag windows -- but he can drag
> desktop icons -- so nautilus is a bit more knowledgeable than the window
> manager is about screens, but I digress) to the e-mail he is composing
> on his secondary, non-xinerama'd display.
>
> Been doing it that way for the better part of a decade.  Xinerama seems
> more useless to me than this.  With Xinerama, do I really want most
> windows (terminals, web-browsing, e-mail composing and reading) split
> across a physical monitor barrier where there is a few inches of
> "plastic" between the screen real-estate?  Not usually.

Dude. This is nonsense.

WMs such as metacity are xinerama-aware and have been about
forever. Windows won't be maximized across the monitor boundaries and
the monitor boundaries are "magnetic" when you move windows across
them. So Xinerama in WMs gives you about everything you explained
above, in addition to actually allow you to drag windows across the
border if you want to.

And that's why I am saying that multiple screens per display is just a
pointless excercise, since it gives you exactly NOTHING that multiple
montors per screen wouldn't give you -- no, it takes features away.

> Another very good use case (and this one is going to segue into this
> particular thread very well in a minute) is the computer in the bedroom.
> Another dual-head machine (that's 2-0 for dual-head vs. xinerama in my
> house) that does not use Xinerama.

That is a broken use case too, because in this case you should be
using two seperate displays, instead of one display with two screens.

Really, multiple screens per display is just pointless. Its a useless
feature...

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net