[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem using the Simple API

eric ekilfoil at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:07:26 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net>wrote:

> I am sorry, but I still have not understood what exactly is happening
> that you don't expect to be happening, resp. what exactly is not
> happening that you expect to happen.

 I'm not sure how to better explain it.... I open a stream, read from it,
write to a pipe, and close the stream.  The problem is that pa_simple_read()
is returning immediately instead of giving me 640 bytes of PCM.

> Note that synchronization should be done based on latency
> measurements, i.e. pa_simple_get_latency(), instead of wishing and
> hoping and thinking and praying. ;-)

I'm not sure what this means since i'm really new to audio, but i'm not sure
that i'm really that worried about latency.  I guess I should be?  The
protocol i'm working with isn't that concerned as long as we're not talking
about more than a half of a second or so.

> Are you sure you mean padevchooser? That tool is obsolete. Don't use it.
>
> I'd guess you are actually using pavucontrol. If that runs the latency
> of all audio devices is shortened (from the default of 2s to something
> near 100ms or so), so that the real-time volume meters it shows are
> nicely in sync with what you hear. Lower latency means shorter
> buffer. Shorter buffer means you get less data at a time.

Yes, pavucontrol is correct... I guess they just haven't updated the title.
 This is the process info:

eric      7105     1  1 17:17 ?        00:00:41 pavucontrol

So it sounds like i have a latency problem...  can you point me to the docs
to unstupify me :)

-eric