[pulseaudio-discuss] start-pulseaudio-x11

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 1 15:47:34 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Malte Gell at 01/09/09 23:32 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi there,
>
> I just discovered this little wrapper script start-pulseaudio-x11. What is the
> exact purpose of this script? Should it be used to start Pulse when using X?
>
> So far I have issued a simple "pulseaudio --high-priority --realtime --start"
> command. Should this wrapper script be used instead?

The script ensures that pulseaudio is started (which can be done in
other ways too like autospawning) but also loads a couple extra modules
specifically to cater for X11. Amoung other things these modules will
put the server access information (e.g. cookie and network address) into
X11 properties of the root window meaning that remotely running
applications after SSHing to another machines just works with sound too.
Another module ensures that pulse does not terminate itself after a
timeout until the X11 session has finished making things more responsive.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]