[pulseaudio-discuss] Different recording volumes in apps using pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 13 08:36:14 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Pedro Abranches at 13/09/09 15:06 did gyre and gimble:
> For example, skype 2.1 works pretty well with pulse (it only has that
> option in the settings window btw)

When skype starts up, it checks for pulse and if it's available it only
gives you that option. If you are using pulse, then in 99.999% of cases,
that's what you want to use, not the individual alsa devices. This is
why skype hides the other options :)

> when I record with the external
> mic. When using the internal mic, the sound is too much low... It's
> almost muted.
> With pulseaudio manager I can confirm that skype is really using pulse.
>
> So, in this case, what differs from gnome sound recorder and skype?

Skype can adjust your mixers for you but a bug in the current beta
prevents this from working. I recently helped the Skype folk via an
interactive debugging session to identify the bug in their pulse client
implementation and fix the bug. It should be better in the next beta
release.

I'm not certain this will fix your problem but I'd imagine it'll help!

col

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]