[pulseaudio-discuss] Documentation on the wire protocol for native-protocol-tcp?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 5 08:59:16 PDT 2010

On Mon, 05.04.10 09:52, david.hagood at gmail.com (david.hagood at gmail.com) wrote:

> I'm trying to find documentation on the wire protocol that the
> native-protocol-tcp uses, but haven't found it yet. Yes, I could Use The
> Source, but reverse-engineering the wire protocol from that vs. reading an
> already written definition of a protocol is not an efficient use of my
> time.

It's only in the sources, sorry.

> If there is such documentation I'd appreciate a link, if not, then I'd
> like to know if the wire protocol is sufficiently fixed to make working
> out the wire protocol make sense.

Unless we broke anything accidently we should still be compatible with
0.9.0, which is quite old.

> My need is that I have a signal processing hardware module that:
> 1) Makes audio
> 2) Accepts audio
> 3) Can speak TCP
> 4) I'd like to tie into a Pulseaudio server.
> 5) would be inconvenient to load all of Pulseaudio on.
>
> So if I could get the wire protocol it would not be hard to generate that.

Note that the protocol is kinda complex, both because it grew
historically and because some parts have to be complex. i.e. the
timing/flow control logic is non-trivial. Reimplementing that won't be
fun.

tbh I don't think the native protocol while it works quite well these
days is something that deserves to be reimplemented by other projects.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net