[pulseaudio-discuss] How do I use PulseAudio?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Apr 6 09:07:15 PDT 2010

ti, 2010-04-06 kello 07:08 +0200, Fabrice DELENTE kirjoitti:
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> However, I won't go through Slackware's support channel, since my
> distribution has been long modified: after the initial install, I recompile
> many packages myself to have the latest version, so I'm not sure if it's
> still compatible with a plain Slackware anymore (I should have gone Linux
> >From Scratch...)
>
> Anyhow, have you got any idea why console-cli should be working? If I type
>
> $ pulseaudio -nC

Did you take this command from http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/FirstSteps? I
think that page needs updating or removing, or at least it should not be
the first heading in the Documentation section of the side panel... The
contents are outdated - not that the information is untrue, but issuing
"pulseaudio -nC" is a really weird first step. The real first step
should be "install a distribution that uses Pulseaudio by default", and
no other steps are needed to get started...

> and list the modules, module-cli shows in the list; my config file must be
> wrong, but it's the plain one, unedited from the tgz.

The man page says this:

        -n     Don't  load  default  script  file  default.pa  (see
        below)
               on startup. Useful in conjunction with -C or --file.

I guess your problem with your config file is that you're not using it
at all.

        -C     Open  a  command interpreter on STDIN/STDOUT after
        startup.
               This may be used to configure PulseAudio dynamically
        during
               runtime. Equivalent to --load=module-cli.

That should explain why module-cli is always loaded.

--
Tanu Kaskinen