[pulseaudio-discuss] using near 100% CPU when doing nothing

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Apr 10 15:22:55 PDT 2010

Daniel Chen <seven.steps <at> gmail.com> writes:

Hey Daniel,

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian <at> interlinx.bc.ca>
wrote:
> > 0.9.19.  On this particular system, PA wants to eat as much CPU as is
> > available.  It will use up near 100% on this system when it's otherwise
idle.

> Do you have all packages from karmic-updates applied?

Sure do.  I keep these systems fairly up-to-date.  This problem has been going
on for a few months now.  Just getting a few minutes to work on it now.

In particular:

pulseaudio:
  Installed: 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4.1
  Candidate: 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4.1
  Version table:
 *** 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4.1 0
        500 http://apt.interlinx.bc.ca karmic-updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4 0
        500 http://apt.interlinx.bc.ca karmic/main Packages

> Are you using
> pulseaudio from ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev?

I was for Jaunty, but not karmic.  I guess it's certainly worth a try.  I will
do that.

> Try linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r) from ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev.

Sure.  I will just enable that repo and upgrade everything to it's packages.

And that seems to have taken care of it.

Thanx Daniel!

b.