[pulseaudio-discuss] multiple users (gnome's switch user) on Ubuntu

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Apr 14 03:21:55 PDT 2010

First a general question so that I am not totally OT here... :-)

In a situation where you have a single physical seat (i.e. one keyboard and
monitor) but you might have multiple logical seats (i.e. where one user logs in,
then physically "goes away", and a second users logs in on a second X session,
without the first user's session being terminated -- although it's idle/unused
while the second user is active -- IOW, "switch user" in gnome), is there
supposed to be a pulseaudio daemon per user?  That is when multiple logical
seats are logged in, one PA daemon for each seat?

If yes, when/how in the gnome session process is the per-user PA daemon supposed
to be started?  Because as it happens now, on our multi-user machine, only the
first seat is getting a PA daemon.