[pulseaudio-discuss] Hpw to start the pa server

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 15 00:59:15 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Gene Heskett at 14/04/10 22:05 did gyre and gimble:
>> I forgot to ask, but can you now give "pacmd ls" output now that the
>> server is running?
>
> That is also pretty verbose & thanks for teaching me about scrollback saving.
> See that output at
> <http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/pacmd-ls.out>

That looks good so far.

Can you perhaps run that command at the same time as using paplay to
"play" the ia-ora startup sound? You should no longer be getting the
connection refused error and as long as you're quick you should be able
to dump pacmd ls before the sound stops "playing".

At present the sinks appear to exist and be working, but they are
"suspended" this is due to a time out:

        state: SUSPENDED
        suspend cause: IDLE

If you do the pacmd ls while something is playing, this should be
different. I just wnat to make sure PA is able to open the devices properly.

Aside from this, how is your sound connected to the computer? Is it
using digital output? If so this is likely the problem. The setup
currently is analog. If this is the case you need to use pavucontrol's
configuration tab to pick an appropriate card profile (you can also use
gnome-volume-control and I'll be working on a KDE version at some point
during May).

Getting there... it's a slow process. Feel free to pop on IRC if you
want a more interactive debugging session.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]