[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse audio does not work with my hdmi output

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Apr 17 02:23:19 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Dark Shadow at 17/04/10 08:03 did gyre and gimble:
> With todays Alsa 1.0.23 release I finally have working HDMI audio on
> my laptop with the exception of through Pulse Audio.
>
> "mplayer video.mkv -ao alsa:device=plughw=1.3" works perfect, but when
> I set Pulse Audio to output to my hdmi device I get silence with the
> occasional popping sound.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid and Pulse Audio is set to internal
> card profile "off" and hdmi profile is "stereo" with appropriate
> output checked.

Hmm, interesting. Does the VU meter in pavucontrol indicate sound is
playing?

Can you supply "pacmd ls" when something is playing (e.g. a stream
should be audible, but it's not)?

Also: "amixer -c [card name/number here]" would be useful too.

If you want to be super helpful, then the output from "pulseaudio -k;
pulseaudio -vvv" would be nice too (although you may need to copy
/etc/pulse/client.conf copied to ~/.pulse/client.conf and disable
autospawn to get past the "pid file" error this produces when PA is
already running.

> Also after that is fixed can I get it so that when I have a hdmi cable
> connected and video outputted to it that Pulse Audio will
> automatically switch output from internal to hdmi then back when the
> cable is disconnected.

I don't think the sensing API exists right now to enable this, but in
theory this is possible. I'm not sure how this will work technically,
but I'd imagine it'll be similar to how audio jack sensing currenty
(doesn't) works.

So not yet, but soon (for various values of soon).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]