[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse audio does not work with my hdmi output

Dark Shadow shadowofdarkness at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 13:50:53 PDT 2010

> Hmm, that seems odd. I've not got much hardware to compare with but do
> you know why there are so many devices there? (and why some of them
> appear not to work!)

I am not sure other then it seems a lot of aplay -l outputs I see with
HDMI audio seem to have them.

One thing to note is 3,7,8 may not work off a fresh boot but use 9 for
even a second and they start working. So that means pulse audio starts
working after I run "mplayer video.mkv -ao alsa:device=plughw=1.9"

It is just annoying to remember to do that.

Anyway I decided I will try to fix it but in the end it is not that
important since 98% of the audio I plan on outputting through HDMI is
5.1 AC3/DTS and since Pulse does not support pass-through which due to
driver limitations is the ONLY way to get more then stereo audio out
of my hdmi. I will leave the pulse profile to off and just use the
mplayer command line to watch my videos.

Nice and easy since I already created a mplayer profile to do it with
a basic "-profile hdmi" option