[pulseaudio-discuss] New kernel 2.6.34-rc4, no audio

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 19 08:24:06 PDT 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>'Twas brillig, and Gene Heskett at 19/04/10 05:10 did gyre and gimble:
>> And
>> [root at coyote linux-2.6.34-rc3]# getfacl /dev/snd/controlC0
>> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
>> # file: dev/snd/controlC0
>> # owner: root
>> # group: audio
>> user::rw-
>> user:gene:rw-
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> group::rw-
>> mask::rw-
>> other::---
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Teach please, thanks.
>>
>:)
>
>Todays Lesson:
>
>You can see your user sneaking in there. This means that your user does
>have permission to read and write this node.
>
>So now that this is set, you should try running PA again and see if you
>get the "accessible: no" bit in the log.
>
>Col

Not sure if I am, and since the only way to run it again is to kill and
restart it with the '-vvv &' options , I'll wait for the next reboot, which
is coming at some point today, because if I restart it without a working
knotify4, the sound results are all chopped up.  knotify4 goes away shortly
after the boot because 10 minutes later its still hogging one core of my
phenom at 100% so I kill it.  But that is also true of the distro kernels.

I am finding enough wrong with mandriva that I'm considering bailing for the
*buntu camp, or if I can survive till F13 is final, maybe that, the beta is
working on my lappy including the 3d stuff.  MDV's dkms is busted, ccache's
installer dates from 2005 so it doesn't work, makes a kernel build take 2
hours on a 4 core phenom and a host of other quibbles, like an almost
complete lack of expert assistance from its "expert" mailing list (english
version), yadda yadda.

Expert support on this list is the one shining star in this otherwise dismal
sky.  Thank you very much.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)