[pulseaudio-discuss] My computer thinks I'm schizophrenic, is PA for me?

Jan Braun janbraun at gmx.de
Mon Apr 19 08:45:45 PDT 2010

Lennart Poettering schrob:
> On Fri, 16.04.10 21:02, Jan Braun (janbraun at gmx.de) wrote:
> > You see, currently I'm the only person with access to my desktop pc,
> > but I have several user accounts on it[1]. And I use them all.
> > Simultaneously. As in: several consoles open, often more than 1 xserver
> > running,
>
> You know, they invented window managers that support multiple
> workspaces. Fantastic stuff. You should try it once.

I'm using one of them (ratpoison, calls it "groups"). But the point of
having multiple xservers is having X running for different users.

> > xterms ssh'd to otheruser at localhost .
>
> Why would you ssh to the local machine?

Because su() doesn't play nice with programs requiring access to the
terminal, e.g. screen().

> Anyway, having one user with a split personality and hence is actually
> five users is certainly nothing I designed PA for.
>
> Sorry,

No, problem, if passing around the cookie is a valid approach, then I'm
happy.

    Jan