[pulseaudio-discuss] New kernel 2.6.34-rc4, no audio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 19 10:21:35 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Gene Heskett at 19/04/10 18:14 did gyre and gimble:
> On Monday 19 April 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Gene Heskett at 19/04/10 16:24 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Not sure if I am, and since the only way to run it again is to kill and
>>> restart it with the '-vvv &' options , I'll wait for the next reboot,
>>> which is coming at some point today, because if I restart it without a
>>> working knotify4, the sound results are all chopped up.  knotify4 goes
>>> away shortly after the boot because 10 minutes later its still hogging
>>> one core of my phenom at 100% so I kill it.  But that is also true of the
>>> distro kernels.
>>
>> We used to have a 100% CPU issue with knotify a while back in Mdv, but I
>> thought we'd fixed it. It relates to how Phonon works with streams.
>
> At the moment, no phonon is running according to htop.  Should it be?

No, it's a library.

>> All
>> the backends are broken in one way or the other :(. IIRC tho' knotify
>> does some strange things with it's sound output... It never bothered me
>> quite enough to get my hands dirty and look at the code however. I've
>> seen it hogging the alsa hw:0 device in the past tho'. Nasty.
>>
>> The problem with waiting until reboot is that the ACLs for the device
>> nodes may not be written correctly at boot time for whatever reason, and
>> it's this boot that causes the problems. Running PA manually after
>> checking the ACLs is a good way to verify everything is setup correctly.
> So I did restart it and:
> [gene at coyote build]$ getfacl /dev/snd/controlC0
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: dev/snd/controlC0
> # owner: root
> # group: audio
> user::rw-
> user:gene:rw-
> group::rw-
> mask::rw-
> other::---

The ACLs wont change for restarting PA.

> and now the sound is sputtering, at least for the chime of incoming email.

It's very hard to even try and comment about that as I have no idea what
system is being used to generate that sound in the first place.

>>> ccache's installer dates from 2005 so it doesn't work,
>>
>> Hmm, I have ccache running fine here too.
>
> Its miss-linked somehow.  My script calls it, and it works without throwing
> any visible errors, but its <5% of the speed I had on 32 bit F10.
>
>>> makes a kernel build take 2 hours on a 4 core phenom
>>
>> Are you building an RPM via mandriva's packages because if so, you are
>> aware that it's building several separate kernels for various different
>> purposes. You can edit the SPEC to not generate all the sundray kernels
>> and only build the one you are interested in.
>
> This is a straight from kernel.org kernel. 2.6.33 tarball + patches.

Sounds like this could all be related to your ccache setup. Have you
checked the /etc/sysconfig/ccache file? (although this list is really
not the right place to be discussing this - I'd really recommend you pop
on IRC and ask in #mandriva or #mandriva-cooker about this generally.

>>> and a host of other quibbles, like an almost
>>> complete lack of expert assistance from its "expert" mailing list
>>> (english version), yadda yadda.
>>
>> Hmm, strange. I don't really subscribe to the expert list much... cooker
>> tends to be what interests me more.
>
> Does that have a mailiing list?

It's the primary list of all development versions of Mandriva. It's
generally not for discussion of stable releases but we do let folks off
with a couple if they are nice about it :p

Just google Mandriva cooker and you'll find it.

>> You should hang out in IRC. People tend to be pretty helpful generally.
>
> On freenode I assume, #name please.

I inadvertently answered that question above :p

Take care

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]