[pulseaudio-discuss] Does pulseaudio require alsa/oss

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 21 10:54:15 PDT 2010

On Wed, 21.04.10 14:00, John Frankish (j-frankish at slb.com) wrote:

Your quoting is still broken. Please fix that.

> Well, my educated bet is that the kernel has some deprecated sysfs
> switches on.
>
> It is highly recommended to let your distributor figure things like this
> out, as they usually know which switches are needed to make things
> properly these day. Use distribution kernels! Use the knowledge and
> experience of your kernel maintainers!
>
> Lennart Poettering                        Red Hat, Inc.
>
> So, a plug for red hat then :)

No. Just a plug for not reinventing the wheel over and over again and
for using the work somebody else already did for you. If you use Fedora
or Ubuntu, or Suse, or Mandriva: their kernels don't suffer by these
problems.

But what I suggested above, is really most likely your problem. You need
to disable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 and friends in the kernel. Even
though you apparently don't take hints from RH people seriously, you
should in this case.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net