[pulseaudio-discuss] More on the native protocol complexity

Rafal Wojtczuk rafal at invisiblethingslab.com
Fri Apr 23 05:25:46 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 01:13:05PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Rafal Wojtczuk at 23/04/10 12:36 did gyre and gimble:
> > A solution acceptable from VM_HOST's point of view on security is:
> > 1) Load module-simple-protocol-tcp in VM_HOST
> > 2) Run pulseaudio daemon in VM_USER (and make users connect to it, instead
> > to VM_HOST). Load module-pipe-sink, and pass the pipe output over the network
> > to port 4711 in VM_HOST (to module-simple-protocol-tcp code).
>
> What is wrong with module-tunnel-sink?
>
> This is what is generally recommended for this and deals with sync etc.
I thought about it, but http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules says
"module-tunnel-{sink,source}:
Tunnel a remote sink/source to a local "ghost" sink/source. Requires a
running PulseAudio daemon on the remote server with
module-native-protocol-tcp loaded."

So in order to use e.g. alsa sink from VM_HOST in VM_USER, I would still
need to allow VM_USER to connect to VM_HOST over native protocol ? Which is
exactly what I am trying to avoid.

Regards,
Rafal Wojtczuk
The Qubes OS Project