[pulseaudio-discuss] Does pulseaudio require alsa/oss

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Apr 24 16:24:44 PDT 2010

On Sat, 24.04.10 15:37, Nix (nix at esperi.org.uk) wrote:

> > Would you prefer some completely unknown and mysterious system to one
> > you actually can poke about with and figure out? Honestly, if this
> > bothers you, do something about it - speak to the people involved and
> > help write the docs. Moaning solve precisely nothing.
>
> I can't write the docs for something I don't understand, and I'm too
> busy trying (and presently failing) to track down bugs in X, the kernel
> and KDE to spend time documenting this right now, particularly since it
> seems to be mostly GNOMEish, and GNOME and I get on like oil and
> water.

Well, as Colin pointed out CK is not really GNOME specific. It is used
on virtually all modern distros, and unrelated to any specific desktop
environment.

So, as you write above X and the kernel and KDE are imperfect und
incomplete too. So pointing fingers at CK is a not really fair, is it?
Manpower is limited. And most devs involved aren't lazy, so what is
there to complain about? YOu yourself admit that you are busy on
tracking down bugs, so you don't find time to track down this one in
CK. Maybe the devs of CK have more on their plate then writing docs for
CK, and priorized things so that CK docs are not first priority? Maybe
they are fixing bugs in X or the kernel too, as we speak?

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net