[pulseaudio-discuss] Constant pulseaudio crashes

Florian Schwade florian.schwade at gmx.net
Tue Apr 27 09:52:13 PDT 2010

Hello,
I try to run my system (ArchLinux)with pulseaudio. More or less successful.
After some minutes of playback pulseaudio will just crash.
My soundcards are:
0 [CA0106         ]: CA0106 - CA0106
                      Audigy SE [SB0570] at 0xe800 irq 21
 1 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xf9ff4000 irq 16
I use ca0106 for playback. If I use the hda-intel the crashes don't seem to appear.
Last week on ubuntu everything worked fine. So maybe there is a new problem in the driver?
This is the log of pulseaudio http://pastebin.com/xdrJkdmv
This time, before pulseaudio died my complete system froze for one second, twice.
An excerpt from the log that seems suspicous to me:
E: alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write!
E: alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_ca0106'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
E: alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.
I already did some research on this. There are old reports about this and a lot of recent bug reports. Some of them are from ubuntu lucid bug reports. So maybe there is a problem now with something. But I was not able to find a proper fix for it. I find those reports about my problem with hda-intel as well as ca0106.

Can it be fixed here or is it a problem in the sound driver?