[pulseaudio-discuss] Auto switching outputs

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Aug 8 03:57:14 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Michał Sawicz at 07/08/10 10:57 did gyre and gimble:
> Dnia 2010-08-05, czw o godzinie 08:54 +0100, Colin Guthrie pisze:
>> There isn't really a great and easy way to automatically move the
>> whole
>> output across. This exact model is currently supported under KDE with
>> the modules I wrote to implement their routing policy but it's not
>> exposed on Gnome.
>
> Well, wouldn't changing the fallback device achieve that goal currently?
> Using gnome-volume-control, for example? If no streams are manually
> moved to other sinks, connecting the headphones (be it USB, BT or other
> ones) would result in moving the streams to the newly selected fallback
> sink, no? Or is the 'move immediately' only applied to sinks selected by
> hand, not for the fallback?

I think gnome-volume-control itself will work fine, but not in
pavucontol. That's because g-v-c does some active fiddling with the
active streams AFAIK. I'm not sure that this setting is then actively
monitored, so that unplugging then replugging will all just work and the
"fallback/default" device will be set properly... I've a funny feeling
it reverts back and then isn't changed... I'd have to double check tho'.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]