[pulseaudio-discuss] PA and a11y, was: Re: and the winner is dmix Re: Multiple users (kde) on Debian

Frode Severin Hatlevik frodeseverin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 14:18:35 PDT 2010

2010/8/21 Halim Sahin <halim.sahin at freenet.de>:
> It seems user-switching in kde is now only possible if the seccond user
> doesn't want to play audio.

After fine tuning the /lib/udev/rules.d/70-acl.rules file on my Debian
Squeeze/testing according to the bug report filed against udev,
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=593881,
things work brilliantly regarding user swithcing with KDE, and also
swithcing to and from pure console logins, at least as far as I have
tested it. My setup is using the setting in the wiki for "The Perfect
Setup" on PA home pages, playing ALSA through PulseAudio. Sounds play
as they should, and only sound from the current active TTY is audible.

Now for accessibiblity: My setup worked for using several "aplay
xxx.wav" simultaneously, both from inside "screen" sessions/subshells
in a Linux console session, as well on different tty's, as long as the
TTY's were owned by the same user. I do not know if my card is set up
for hardware or software mixing. How do I check for this?

Conclusion: The winner is PulseAudio. Possibly coupled with dmix in
the right manner?

;)Frode

PS:
I am informed that the newest GDM incarnation might mess things up a
bit. GDM is not keeping a close eye on bacwards compatibility and the
API is totally revamped. Many things, such as user switching and
.Xauthority are broken or defunct  in strange ways.
DS.

--
Da sa Gud: "Det bli lys!"
Og det ble lys.