[pulseaudio-discuss] Two identical USB sound-cards - second card fails to load because card-name found in hashmap.

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Aug 22 23:31:06 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 21:51 +0200, Ivar Mossin wrote:
> So my questions are:
> Is there a way to load both these cards without modifying the source?

This is a bug that should be fixed in the source. But you can work
around this by loading the failing card manually, just give it a unique
name in the module arguments.

> What is the reasoning behind setting this flag at all?
> Which side-effect will I experience by simply ignoring this flag, and
> trying to add a ".%u" to the card-name anyway?

The flag exists, because if the card is loaded manually, and the user
provides a name for the card, it makes sense to fail in case the name
isn't unique. The user may have some configuration or scripts or
something that depends on the name not being automatically mangled -
failing early in such situation is better than failing late.

So, how to fix the bug? I'd just add a new module argument for
module-alsa-card: namereg_fail. It could be used by module-udev-detect
to override the normal logic for setting the flag.

--
Tanu Kaskinen