[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio, pcHDTV hd-5500 card, tvtime, and mythtv

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 19:15:49 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Trevan Richins
<trevan_pulse at therichins.net> wrote:
> If I run the command "sox -c 1 -t alsa default -t alsa default", I hear
> the TV sound correctly.

Right; you've routed 'default' through the pulse alsa-lib plugin.

> But
> if I run tvtime or MythTV, I don't get any sound.

A couple distros don't route either of those through 'default' but
through the older OSS API (/dev/dsp, /dev/audio), and at least a
couple route the latter through ALSA's plughw, all of which generally
collide with pulse on modern integrated HDA.

> I don't know if the problem is with pulseaudio, the card, or
> tvtime/mythtv.  Any ideas on what I should do?

Ideally you would route them through pulse; some distros patch them to
allow limited functionality through pulse's alsa-lib plugin or the
alsa mixer interface.

Best,
-Dan