[pulseaudio-discuss] ubuntu flash pulseaudio multiuser

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 23 10:02:19 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and duportail at 23/12/10 17:50 did gyre and gimble:
> That did it Col, thanks.
> I will look into the ACL's now.But have to write  an easy script to set
> this up.

Cool :)

> Last question: what is  start-pulseaudio-x11 doing?Or what can be done
> with this?

Essentially it just loads a couple extra modules into PA (keeping in
mind that that PA is a per-user daemon but each user can theoretically
login on several X11 displays at the same time).

One module keeps PA alive for the duration of the X11 session (normally
PA will exit after a period of inactivity). A second module publishes
connection credentials in the x11 root window. This allow us to piggy
back on SSH's X11 forwarding so that you can SSH to a remote machine and
run an X11 app and have it display on your local machine but also
produce sounds on your local machine too (assuming you've enabled
networking support in paprefs).

These modules can't be loaded in default.pa as X11 may not be be present
when PA starts up (e.g from a console) so this script is automatically
run when the user logs into X (via XDG autostart .desktop files).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]