[pulseaudio-discuss] No or only random connections to PulseAudio server after `pulseaudio -k`.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 1 23:58:33 PST 2010

On Sat, 30.01.10 15:59, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

> Dear PulseAudio folks,
>

> I want to debug PulseAudio problems as described in [1].
>
> Therefore I added `autospawn = no` to `~/.pulse/client.conf` and issued
> `pulseaudio -k` and `pulseaudio -vvvvv`.
>
> But after doing so all my programs are not able to connect to the
> PulseAudio server(?) anymore.
>
> Putting `autospawn = yes` to `~/.pulse/client.conf` produces the same
> behavior besides with MPlayer, where it is sometimes able to connect to
> the server but fails in over 90 % of the attempts doing so.

Please reproduce this with "PULSE_LOG=99 pactl stat" and post the
output here. Also, please check syslog.

> 1. For example running `gstreamer-properties` which has PulseAudio
> selected as output device gives an error message.
>
>         $ LANG=C gstreamer-properties
>         gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'PulseAudio Sound Server': Failed to connect: Connection refused [pulsesink.c(442): gst_pulseringbuffer_open_device (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSink:pulsesink3]
>
> 2. Also MPlayer does not work anymore with PulseAudio as output.
>
>         AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
>         Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
>         Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
>         Audio: no sound

Both of these look as if autospawning is in fact disabled. Running
things with PULSE_LOG=99 should show whether the PA client libs
actually try autospawning.

>         D: module-udev-detect.c: /dev/snd/controlC0 is accessible: yes
>         D: module-console-kit.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Seat, path=/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1, member=SessionAdded
>         D: module-console-kit.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Seat, path=/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1, member=SessionRemoved
>         D: module-console-kit.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Seat, path=/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1, member=SessionAdded

There's something seriously wrong with your CK setup.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net