[pulseaudio-discuss] My default sound devices are not retained after suspend or reboot

Sebastien Pimenta pim at pulsradio.com
Sun Feb 7 06:11:41 PST 2010

Hello,

I'm using ubuntu karmic 9.10 with 2 sound cards and a webcam listed
below :
pim at pim:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [EMU0404        ]: Audigy2 - E-mu 0404b PCI [MAEM8852]
                      E-mu 0404b PCI [MAEM8852] (rev.0,
serial:0x40021102) at 0x9f00, irq 19
1 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfbff8000 irq 22
2 [U0x4710x310    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x471:0x310
                      USB Device 0x471:0x310 at usb-0000:00:1a.1-1, full
speed
pim at pim:~$ cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_emu10k1
1 snd_hda_intel
2 snd_usb_audio

I'd like to use the sound card "EMU0404" as default output device and
the Intel sound card as default input device (Line-In as default). I've
set-up this in pavucontrol but for some reason, my preferences are not
retained after suspend and reboot.
I've been searching for 2 days for a solution but I can't find. I'm
quite new to linux so I don't know if it's a bug or just a newbie
question.

To explain things better, I've made some screenshots :
http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudiout1.png => my settings for
output before suspend (default output = SB0404 ==> what I want). These
settings seem to be retained after suspend or reboot.
http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudioin1.png  => my settings for
input before suspend (default input = Audio intern - Line In= ==> What I
want.
http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudioin2.png  => my settings for
input after suspend (default input changed to EMU404 - Microphone)
This is just an exemple because sometimes after reboot, default input is
still Intel but switched to mic-in instead of line-in.

Maybe it has nothing to do with this problem but I've
edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf in order to have always the same
order :
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
options snd-hda_intel index=1
options snd-usb_audio index=2