[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 06:27:05 PST 2010

I think this is one area where PulseAudio could be improved, though I
can't quite figure out how!  Surely, there must be some way to allow
specific processes or users to have full sound access, while otherwise
sticking to the one-user-at-a-time model.

I'm trying to port SBL (another console screen reader) to Ubuntu, now,
and so I've got yet another piece of code that will need substantial
changes to work with the one-user-at-a-time model, in addition to
speechd-up, espeakup, and speech-dispatcher.  Grr...  Can't we just
add the concept of an "allowed" user, who gets to play sound no matter
who's logged in?

Bill