[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 06:52:06 PST 2010

> Can you demonstrate this?
>
> In the past when I've tested this behaviour on OSX (it was quite a while
> ago) it behaves exactly as I described above, and I've literally just
> now re-tested this on a colleagues Mac (latest version):
>
>  1. Enable "Fast User Switching" (System Settings -> Accounts -> Login
> Options).
>  2. Login as user.
>  3. Fast user switch (top right, next to clock) to a different user.
>  4. With new user download and run e.g. VLC or iTunes.
>  5. Start playing  some tunes.
>  6. Fast user switch back to your original user.
>  7. Note the blissful silence.
>  8. Do whatever you like with the original user login. Play tunes, check
> mail etc.
>  9. Switch back to the user who *was* playing.
>  10. If you used iTunes, it will now be in the Pause state so will be
> quiet. If you used VLC the music will continue playing now the user is
> active again.

1. default Mac from a company
2. open a terminal and play an mp3 with mplayer as normal user
3. going to another PC and logging in with ssh (as root) and playing
an mp3 ) -- works
4. again going to another PC and in order you cannot blame it on login
as root I added another user and played back another mp3 -- it worked
too
in any case 2 different users were playing back the mp3.

> I guess the reason there is a difference between iTunes and VLC is that
> iTunes presumably listens to the "cork" notifications from CoreAudio and
> issues an application level pause, whereas VLC does not and thus is
> forcibly corked, but will automatically play again.

maybe iTunes is requesting this, but then hey this option would be on
enduser application level and not at audio stack level.

Seen from my side setting this option (the possibility to lock audio
to one user) on App level instead of Stack level this would be much
better.

> This is *exactly* the same behaviour as we promote in PulseAudio too.

unfortunately I can not confirm this with iTunes either... I tested
this with OSX 10.4 and OSX 10.5.

using iTunes and logging in remotely also worked - including audio
playback. I can make a video of this if you don't believe it heh.

Markus