[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:17:37 PST 2010

The corking stuff in PA is very cool.  I don't think anyone objects to
it.  But couldn't we quell all the "PA stinks!" posts by just allowing
some processes/groups/users to have constant access to audio?

Comparisons to MAC and Windows have been going on for a while, and the
PA guys are basically right that PA is more like Windows and Mac than
the older sound systems.  If I'm not mistaken, the real issue is all
the very valid reasons people out in Linux land have for multi-user
simultaneous access to sound.  I'd say those guys are generating most
of the negative PA e-mails I read, and not just on this forum.

I guess the only other really nasty e-mails I read about PA are due to
old unmaintained code (typically games) that have too much delay in
PA.  Is there any good reason that the default latency in PA for
programs that don't bother setting a desired latency is greater than
zero?

Bill

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Markus Rechberger
<mrechberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 15:52 +0100, Markus Rechberger wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> 1. default Mac from a company
>>> 2. open a terminal and play an mp3 with mplayer as normal user