[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Feb 9 09:36:46 PST 2010

On 9 Feb 2010, olin verbalised:

> OK, so that's X11. I cannot figure out what PA's mechanism for this is. I sort
> of get the sense, from this per-user-login server model that PA has the
> horrible one-persone/one-computer model of "the person at the console is the
> person using the computer," which was inflicted on the world by Microsoft
> Windows. If so, this is a real design error, one that doesn't sync up with
> Unix, which has always had a multi-user model of the world.

The model is 'the person at the console is the person near the speakers
and thus the person who should get sound output when requested'. This
doesn't seem like a terribly unrealistic model to me. How many computers
do you know of which have speakers in a completely different place to the
keyboard and screen?