[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatically change 'Default device'?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 10 17:07:23 PST 2010

On Thu, 11.02.10 08:57, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:

> I think I'm missing something important in the config/man files, but is
> it possible to basically say "when a new device/card is loaded, make it
> default"?
>
> So, for example, I have music playing through my internal sound card. I
> turn on my BT headset, some streams will move there (because I
> previously sent them there) but others will not (because I haven't, or
> perhaps because event sounds currently can't be moved, yet).
>
> If its possible to say "when a new sink is loaded, make it default",
> everything would move there, unless its been specifically assigned. This
> would also help in module-jack-sink/source, because currently everything
> which is currently playing is corked on the internal sound card because
> JACK has taken control of it.
>
> Of course, I know this cannot be the default. Just wondering if there's
> an option for it, or perhaps somewhere I can dump user-scripts to
> accomplish this (by running on detecting certain events), udev perhaps?

This idea has been suggested before and I really like it, and actually
would like to make it the default. I think there is a bug open about
this, and this will come, and is probably even easy to write.

I think the fact that somebody plugged in a device is sign enough that
he wants to use that. Also, if we eventually get analog jack sensing,
and automatically switch output ports to that jack of a sound card
something is plugged into, it would only be systematic if we did the
same if someone plugs in an audio device in the usb port, if you see
the analogy.

So, yes, I like this, I want this in PA. As a
module. Natively. Enabled by default. Patches welcome, and if noone
comes up with any I will implement this myself eventually.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net