[pulseaudio-discuss] What is latency? And other related questions

Tristin Celestin tristin_celestin at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 07:40:09 PST 2010

> First, make sure that your tlength is at least two-three time as large
> as mixlen. My guess is that you supply a tlength but for some reason
> fail to fill it properly, so you get underruns on the PA frontend, which
> makes PA increase tlength even more, leading to higher prebuffering (and
> latency).

Thank you very much. I was under the impression that tlength had to equal mixlen.
Additionally,

> I don't understand that question, can you rephrase it?

I have two versions of my plugin: one version that uses the simple API and
another that uses the normal API. The normal API version works fine. The
simple API version does not.

There is no simple API equivalent of pa_stream_writable_size, so I can't
query for free_space with the simple API like I would with the regular one:

> free_space = pa_stream_writable_size (stream)
> if (free_space < mixlen)
>     play ();
> else
>    write_to_buffer ();

Is there a downside to making a version of pa_stream_writable_size available in the
simple API? Why would I want to specify the buffer attributes in the simple API with
a buffer_attr, but not be able to query the state of the buffer while writing to it?