[pulseaudio-discuss] My default sound devices are not retained after suspend or reboot

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 02:06:24 PST 2010

2010/2/12 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Sebastien Pimenta at 12/02/10 09:41 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hi
>> thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try but I'm using shoutcast, don't
>> know if it will work too.
>> Moreover my main problem is that the default pulseaudio card changes
>> each time I reboot (got a EMU0404 - a webcam and a intel sound card).
>> So it is annoying to change the settings each time I want to run a
>> broadcast :/
>
> It wont be a problem. The default wont matter (it shouldn't change every
> time you boot but that is another issue) as once you move the *stream*
> once, the *stream* device choice will be recorded and restored. The
> "default" device is only ever used if no more appropriate device for a
> given stream is available.

But using the gst-launch command results in PulseAudio recognizing the
stream as 'gst-launch'. So in order to have PulseAudio remember the
settings of several different streams all started with a gst-launch
command, you have to set some environment variables. See
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/ApplicationProperties

The other option is to set the device parameter of the GstPulseSrc
element, but you'll lose the advantage of PA remembering the selected
output device.

Maarten