[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC stream-restore save_sink|source flag reset & more musings on device selection.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 16 18:28:09 PST 2010

On Fri, 05.02.10 10:11, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I tried to write a client that would nuke the device part of
> the stream restore database.
>
> This works fine but any active streams that match the rule will not have
> their save_sink|source flag reset when this happens.
>
> I think the following patch does this but just wanted to double check
> this wouldn't trigger some other unwanted behaviour (e.g. in gnome apps)
> before I push it.
>
> I also generate a sink input|source output change subscription message
> here. This is arguably not "correct" as the sink input itself is not
> changing, although the rules governing it's routing have. In lieu of a
> proper subscription system for "routing rules" I just fire this one.
>
> Comments?
>
> http://colin.guthr.ie/git/pulseaudio/commit/?id=7a7c7e53914f641686fe3fe59d0772e78cdf86ca

Hmm, we actually try pretty hard to supress subscription events if we
can. Since the only thing you change about the sink input is the
save_sink flag I see no reason to fire the event. The primary purpose
of the subscription event is to notify clients about changes, but they
have no access to the save_sink flag at all.

I'd advise to not fire the subscription event here, unless an existing
module really needs this. (Though generally I am tempted to say that
modules that care about save_sink and the routing stuff should use
synchrnous hooks rather than asynchronous subscriptions)

But otherwise the patch looks fine to me, and makes a lot of sense to
me.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net