[pulseaudio-discuss] Audio over SSH

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Wed Feb 17 18:34:48 PST 2010

On 02/02/10 09:53, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> What's the right magical incantation to expose an audio sink over ssh
> to another machine?

From reading your followup post:

On 18/02/10 11:35, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> I have 2 machines, each logged in. Machine A has a sound card,
> machine B does not. I would like to be able to sit down at machine B
> and run applications, whose audio will go to the speakers hooked up
> to A.

I see that this is not for your use case, but does still qualify as
"audio over SSH" from your first post, so I will post this here in case
it helps anyone else.

I just use ssh -X $host, and the audio from the programs running
remotely are magically forwarded to my local system, just like the display.

Of course, it requires libpulse to be installed on both machines, but it
does work. It does require X11 forwarding, though — I presume PulseAudio
includes a reference to itself in some X11 root window property.

If the machine you are ssh'ing from doesn't have X11 installed, you'll
have to use another method — already been some pointers in this thread
so far.