[pulseaudio-discuss] Moving streams without pavuontrol

Vegard Vesterheim vegard.vesterheim at uninett.no
Fri Feb 19 01:36:50 PST 2010

The ability to use programs like pavucontrol to move streams between
sound cards dynamically is very nice. But if the sound is very short
it can be a bit cumbersome to do this directly via the gui. I wanted
to move an alert sound from my IM-client from the headphones to the
external speakers, but the sound entry appears and disappears too
quickly for me to catch it in the gui. To work around this, I simply
temporarily changed the sound to a longer one, giving me enough time
to click in the gui ;-)

Surely there must be a better way to do this?

Can I use pacmd or similar to dump the existing mappings, and
rearrange them?

Maybe there could be a couple seconds delay in the gui before the
sound entry disappears? A bit tricky to implement, I guess, because in
principle, the same event could possibly be triggered multiple times
in succession.

 - Vegard V -