[pulseaudio-discuss] Is running as user smart or dumb?

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 03:43:36 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I didn't get much response with my more polite e-mail, here's
> what I really think, given my current ignorance about pulseaudio...
>
> PulseAudio is cool, but I fear it's over-engineered by some Ph.D's
> with too much elegance in their solution, and not enough real world
> experience.  Run as user?  Really?

it would be ok as long as it would support multiple users.
The problem is that it doesn't care about /etc/group audio permissions and thus
breaks backward compatibility with alsa.

You have a few options
* the easiest one is to remove pulseaudio and get audio work again as
it was meant to be (which is also conform to all other unixsystems)
* another way would be to run pulseaudio as system daemon (depreciated)
* use alsa dmix, and configure pulseaudio to use alsa dmix.

Best Regards,
Markus