[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 21:35:58 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 23:29 -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> > 'Twas brillig, and Markus Rechberger at 24/12/09 14:02 did gyre and gimble:
> >> I think it's pretty clear what the problem is.
> >> PA does not support multiple users on one system..
> >> I told you if you intend to replace the existing audio system and
> >> build up compatibility layers
> >> add try to do it right.
> >
> > But for you "right" === "the exact same way it used to work".
>
> Hi, Colin.  I think it is important to understand where people like
> Markus come from.  I suspect he's completely blind.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure from previous mails from Markus that his main
issue is a certain hardware his company sells which requires root to be
able to access pulseaudio, some TV-sort thingy. He's mentioned this
repeatedly in the months I've been on this list.

Sorry I can't help more with your issue, I've been reading the
conversations about it and think you have a point, but it'll be quite a
bit of work to get things working. It may perhaps be better to use alsa
with dmix as markus has suggested.