[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 3 02:48:20 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 03/01/10 00:31 did gyre and gimble:
> Seriously need this for my usb headset.. it drives me insane trying to
> get the sounds to the correct output. One thing though I'm not sure
> it's possible but there needs to be some thing similar for input as
> well, at the moment I have to open the sound prefs and click the input
> tab and select the usb mic, then close the window... thats 5 clicks to
> do some thing that should be automatic...

> Also the list should be mostly automatic with new devices just
> receiving a higher priority. In keeping with *gnomeishness* the
> priority could just be normal, medium and high
>
> normal / default - internal and network devices
> medium - usb and bluetooth
> high - reserved for user selection so they can override with a
> preferred device (unused by most users)

There is already an internal priority that does pretty much this (not
sure of the weightings but the principle is certainly there).

I also have a very precise priority list manually controllable in
module-device-manager which is able to do the routing policy.

At present this module is only loaded under kde which exposes this
routing policy transparently.

Longer term, I intend to allow the user to pick their routing policy
based on a preference inside PA itself and give some kind of GUI to
other clients (e.g. pavucontrol) to do the same thing, but I've not had
time of late to look into that approach.

It will be based on the work to deprecate module-gconf and use
module-loader instead which will unify the database systems we use
(currently both the compiled in db (gdbm or tdb) and gconf will be used
to store preferences which is a bit silly. We should just stick to one
and reduce the complexity. Once this is done, it'll also see a merging
of paprefs and pavucontrol code into one app.

Anyway, not much to report on it yet.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]