[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 4 12:08:01 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Bill Cox at 04/01/10 20:01 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> ... an alternative could be to fix speakup to
>> simply watch CK and disable itself as long as long as somebody is
>> logged in.
>
> Users need to be able to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at any time and get to a
> speeking console.  It can't ever go away.

You over-pruned the quoted text. Lennart carries on (the very next
paragraph) to explain:

"Effectively this means that instead of running PA for the tts daemon
which then watches access on the audio device nodes, it [meaning
speechd-up et al.] would have to watch CK and enable/disable itself as
soon as somebody logs out or logs in and could *directly access the
audio devices*."

(Emphasis and [] mine)

The idea being that once the user logs in, a user-spawned process takes
over from there (which is basically what I was suggesting too albeit
avoiding running PA for the "idle" session).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]