[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 4 12:37:23 PST 2010

On Mon, 04.01.10 14:59, Bill Cox (waywardgeek at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi, Lennart.  I beg you to not work towards eliminating the consoles.
> Speakup is not only popular, but easily installed as a module in
> Ubuntu, with 'm-a a-i speakup-souce'.

It's not me who is setting the agenda here, its mostly the X/video
folks whose plans that are.

Note that droppping the console does not necessarily mean there would
be no replacement for rescue/admin purposes, that does not depend on
the full X stack. That would probably live in userspace though.

But then again, I probably should not comment too much about the
X/video plans, given that I dont really work on that.

> Users need the consoles, and thus speakup, after logging in through
> gdm for several reasons.  Most blind users feel speakup is a better
> console driver than Orca driving gnome-terminal, and they spend as
> little time in Gnome as possible.  I hear it integrates well with
> Braille displays.

Right. So why not fix orca and make everything work fine in Gnome? I
mean, lets fix things properly, not carry on with kludges.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net