[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 4 13:09:51 PST 2010

On Mon, 04.01.10 19:56, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Bill Cox at 04/01/10 19:43 did gyre and gimble:
> > Colin and Luke have suggested using CK to deal with this, by killing
> > off speech-dispatcher and speechd-up when the user logs in through
> > gdm, and restarting it when they log out.
>
> Note that I wasn't really suggesting that it was "killed off" per-se.
> Just that it became a session daemon (like PA is) and that an "idle
> user" session was run when the system was idle. This would have the
> effect of starting it automagically when the system became idle (which
> implies being at a login prompt) and that it would die off when the
> system became "active" (not as a direct result of becomeing active but
> because the "idle" session was effectively over/stopped) whereby a users
> own version of the app could be run instead to take over after they were
> logged in.
>
> That said, Lennart has now clarified how the tty logins are running
> (tts) and basically that it itself should run a pseudo session jsut like
> gdm. This seems pretty sensible.

Actually if there should really be a proper "idle" pseudo-session
around that shows up in ck-list-sessions is an open question. Instead
of having that as proper session we could simply have udev-acl patches
mentioned that assigns every device to a particular "fallback" user
if there is no real user active on the seat. The advantage of this
more light-weight approach would be that we could easily have
different "fallback" users for different device types and the user
would not be confused by the fact that there is this session that
never goes away.

I have briefly talked to Kay about this, he seems not generally
opposed adding either solution, but we're not sure yet which way to
follow.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net