[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 5 05:01:16 PST 2010

On Tue, 05.01.10 01:04, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> >> I don't know if the getty system could launch a psuedo session itself so
> >> that ck doesn't specifically need to be aware of "idle" status - it was
> >> just my way of imagineering how I'd approach the problem which (by the
> >> sounds of things) was along the right lines (\o/)
> >
> > getty based logins are currently registered in CK by means of the PAM
> > ckit connector.
>
> In the above comment I wasn't meaning the *actual* user login (I know
> this works fine via the PAM ck stuff) but the login prompt itself (cf
> the gdm graphical login with it's pseudo session). This was the whole
> concept of the "idle" thing I was suggesting and why I was expecting an
> "idle" user would be needed to handle this (cf gdm user). Sorry if my
> (incorrect?) terminology is misleading. We're probably mostly talking
> about the same thing but I'm just not describing it too well.

I have discussed this with Kay now and he'd very much prefer to do
this with a proper "idle" session that some tool (maybe some wrapper
around the speakup daemon) registers in CK, instead of patching
udev-acl.

That should allow us to do without CK and udev-acl patches and allows
non-a11y setups to stay unmodified.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net