[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 07:05:49 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 14:56 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 05/01/10 14:49 did gyre and gimble:

> >> Hmm, is it then impossible to move event sounds? Doesn't seem like a
> >> good way to do it.
> >
> > You can. Event sounds are streams like any other. Given how short they
> > are it might be hard to be quick enough though to move them.
>
> Well event sounds are now hidden in pavucontrol.... so moving is
> tricky... cmd line tools are hard to use for this when time is of the
> essence!

My initial email was primarily to do with pavucontrol and the lack of a
method to move event sounds which is analogous to moving sounds from
apps. The method currently is to set a default sink, but since this
differs from how other app sounds work, its confusing (for me at least)
and bears looking at. Purely a usability issue.