[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 5 07:32:10 PST 2010

On Tue, 05.01.10 10:12, Bill Cox (waywardgeek at gmail.com) wrote:

> > The whole point of ConsoleKit is to follow who's logged in. Are you
> > suggesting that if you login on the console ck-list-sessions does not
> > list that session? If that's the case your really should have a word
> > with the Ubuntu developers...
>
> I was wrong.  What's going on is that PA does not launch automatically
> when I login, and that had me confused.  Sessions do seem to be
> tracked, and it does seem to know which is active.

Yepp, normal login sessions dont have a proper session manager, that
makes it hard to start services automatically for them. It's one of
the reasons console logins really should go away for everything but
the most low-level debugging/administration.

To remedy that we start PA on-demand on the consoles, i.e. on first use.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net