[pulseaudio-discuss] Saving stream volumes per physical output

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Jan 5 08:37:47 PST 2010

ti, 2010-01-05 kello 14:13 +0100, Lennart Poettering kirjoitti:
> In m-s-r we store only relative volumes. i.e. attenuation relative to
> the current sink volume. Since the sink volume is always the max of
> all streams connected to it this means the attenuation factor we store
> is never an amplification.
>
> That means that as long as we save/restore the sink volume itself
> adjustments to what we store about the stream volume should not be
> necessary.

Consider this scenario:

Headphones' port volume is -10 dB. Speakers' port volume is also -10 dB.

I use headphones, and set the volume to -15 dB, because that is good.
Then I switch to the speakers. The volume is now a bit too low, so I
turn it up to -10 dB. Then I switch back to the headphones. m-s-r
doesn't do anything, because it thinks one stream volume is good for any
output. But the end result is that now the music is coming 5 dB louder
to my ears than what I want.

Maybe you're going to argue that after switching to the speakers I
should have changed the port volume instead of the stream volume. But if
I know nothing about the flat volume logic, as would be the case for an
ordinary user, it's much more likely that I'm just going to tweak the
music player volume, which modifies the stream volume.

--
Tanu Kaskinen