[pulseaudio-discuss] limits on maximum device volume?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 6 05:18:38 PST 2010

On Wed, 06.01.10 09:01, Tomasz Torcz (tomek at pipebreaker.pl) wrote:

>   I don't see what saving/restoring has to do with restoring. For me,
> it is about temporary raising global volume without rescaling samples
> already in buffer. So, when I have Totem playing at -10dB and it fills
> the buffer. Suddenly, event sound with volume -7dB comes. For the
> duration of event global volume is bumped to -7dB and buffer filled
> by Totem is played two times louder than intended.
>   I stumble into it almost every day — I have event sound enabled
> and set significantly louder than music and movie streams volume.
> Everytime I click a button having something played in background,
> I get temporary loudness bump.

Uh, no. That is not what happens here. If it happens for you then
probably one of your apps is bypassing PA, or the dB data exported by
your sound card is incorrect.

When we increase the sink volume because one stream needs it we
digitally attenuate all other streams to compensate for that.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net