[pulseaudio-discuss] M-Audio FastTrack Pro

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jan 7 08:09:54 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and David Kågedal at 07/01/10 15:52 did gyre and gimble:
> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> writes:
>> 3) fallback to the descriptive name alsa uses for it which often
>>    enough is very generic, such as "USB Audio".
>>
>> And I asked you to add a pretty string to usb.ids and submit that to
>> the official database so that everyone can enjoy a nicer string.
>
> Sure, I will do that. But I'm still not sure I understand why we aren't
> using then perfectly good name "M-Audio FastTrack Pro" that apparently
> is reported by ALSA in /proc/asound/cards.

See Lennart's point 3 above. In *your* case it's nice, but apparently in
the majority of cases it's not nice and totally generic which is no use
to anyone.

Cheking your product, it does indeed look like it's missing from the usb
ids database:
https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/0763
(as 2012 is missing).

> In 2) in your list, are you saying that PA reads "FastTrack_Pro" from
> somewhere? lsusb -v also lists the name without underscore.

>                 device.product.name = "FastTrack_Pro"
>                 device.serial = "M-Audio_FastTrack_Pro"

These two ultimately come from UDEV:

udev_device_get_property_value(card, "ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE")
 and
udev_device_get_property_value(card, "ID_SERIAL")

So I guess udev puts the underscores in.

Col

PS FWIW, I have a similar issue wiht my USB speakers. I put mine in the
database a while back, but it should be able to get it without this info
anyway.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]