[pulseaudio-discuss] Do clients remember there media.role?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 8 01:54:39 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 08/01/10 02:08 did gyre and gimble:
> 2010/1/8 Michał Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>:
>> Dnia 2010-01-08, pią o godzinie 14:44 +1300, Jason Taylor pisze:
>>> I also know apps should set this per stream.. but most do not, yet!
>>
>> The whole idea of roles is that the app needs to set this, no point in
>> remembering it.
>
> But that's my point... most apps 90% don't set it
>
> And then theres the whole what should ff or chrome be... video or
> music or some thing else
>
> If pa would remember it it could be easily setable or detected via
> desktop files and saved....

I'd personally rather not do this. If anything there should be a static
list/database of apps and their role. This list could be exposed via the
web for user input (e.g. like the PCI/USB ids lists) and shipped with
releases.

We already have module-augment-properties which guesses a role based on
the application's .desktop file which does an OK job. We would basically
extend this module with the database.

I think another "remembered" thing would only lead to confusion as we'd
also have to create a UI for setting the role, and then you raise the
complex question of whether you allow users to override a role that the
application *has* set itself....

So, no, IMO remembering is bad, but augmenting/helping the application
set it's role is good.

My €0.02.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]