[pulseaudio-discuss] M-Audio FastTrack Pro

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 02:45:30 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 05:20 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 08 January 2010, David Kågedal wrote:

> >> You maybe., most others not. It is a simple fact that most
> >> manufacturers dont give teh USB descriptor data the love it deserves,
> >> e.g. very seldomly the USB serial id is actually useful.
> >
> >Sure. But I'm just complaining that someone (perhaps udev) is making it
> >deliberately worse, so that it isn't usefule even if the manufacturer
> >gets its act together.
> >
> >> The USB descriptor data is available via sysfs
> >> (/sys/bus/usb/devices/*-*/manufacturer and
> >> /sys/bus/usb/devices/*-*/product). If you check that you will notice
> >> that very often the data in those fields is not exactly useful if it
> >> is available at all (in which case those files wont exist)
> >
> >All of them look pretty good on my system:
> >
> >krank% cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product
> >PS2 to USB Converter
> >Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)
> >FastTrack Pro
> >USB2.0 Hub Controller
> >O2Micro CCID SC Reader
> >EHCI Host Controller
> >EHCI Host Controller
> >UHCI Host Controller
> >UHCI Host Controller
> >UHCI Host Controller
> >UHCI Host Controller
> >UHCI Host Controller
>
> Just as a comment, that many 'host controllers' looks odd.  From my rather
> voluminous usb tree:
> [root at coyote nitros9]# cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/product
> USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER
> HL-2140 series
> USB HS SERIAL CONVERTER
> Standard USB Hub
> USB2.0 Hub
> EPSON Scanner 010F
> USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
> BCM92046DG-CL1ROM
> BCM2046B1
> USB Receiver
> Belkin UPS
> EHCI Host Controller
> OHCI Host Controller
>
> Only one of each standard here.

My machine is similar to his:-

USB 2.0 Camera
PS/2+USB Mouse
USB Keyboard
Fingerprint Sensor
UA-25EX
EHCI Host Controller
EHCI Host Controller
UHCI Host Controller
UHCI Host Controller
UHCI Host Controller
UHCI Host Controller
UHCI Host Controller

Its from a series of /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb{1,2,3,4,5,6,7}/product
nodes on my system.