[pulseaudio-discuss] No sound output after upgrade

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 13 15:30:03 PST 2010

On Sun, 10.01.10 23:34, David Björkevik (david at bjorkevik.se) wrote:

> I know. Although I don't think that the mixer settings are the problem
> because I tried tweaking every single one of them without getting any
> audio out. Also, after a "killall pulseaudio", mplayer happily plays
> sound through the card.

That might be because PA enables a path that makes no sense on your
card.

Please do the following:

run mplayer so that it properly produces audio and bypasses PA. Then
do an "amixer -c0 > a". Then, run PA and run mplayer on top of it and
verify with pavucontrol that you are playing audio on the right device
and make sure that PA at least "thinks" it plays something. Then,
do an "amixer -c0 > b".

Finally, do a "diff -u a b -C 7" and paste that here.

If that shows no difference it might be interesting to find out which
card channel is allocated when PA uses the device and which one is
used if you use mplayer bypassing PA. You can find that out in the
files in /proc/asound/card0/...

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net